Somewhere

Monday, May 9, 2011

from the shore

I'm at the shore.  Just been watching clouds and 'saw' a turtle, a bird, and a porpoise in the sky.  Can't remember when I last did that! 

The ocean is so relentless.  I'm fascinated by the way  it writes on the sand it's own messages with gullies and dimples and ridges and blocks of what I can only describe as cheeks (as in face cheeks!). 

Shells have been numerous resulting, I  guess, from recent storms churning them up.  I'm fascinated by their past lives as the homes of various sea creatures.   Year after year, I find the same shapes and colors most of the time.  I still collect the odd ones.  I  wonder:  Are these the 'custom homes'  of this particular beach on the Atlantic Coast of the USA? 

Unusual this year:  Gravel beds have grown as well on their way to becoming sand, I guess.

Other musings:  The ocean as an image of the constancy, power,  and relentlessness of God's love to shape a human life.  Unlike the shells or the gravel or the jelly fish, we can resist or say 'no', 'I won't' to God's desire to instill us with His own grace that can break down  our sinfulness and eliminate the wounds of a lifetime, setting us free to love and forgive.

No comments:

Post a Comment