Somewhere

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Sitting in the shade


I have a flower box on the deck in which small flowers were planted. Right in the middle of the box, a plant with one huge leaf has grown. That leaf is twice the size of any of the plants in the box.


I've resisted yanking it out. It's whimsical for one thing, who leaves a huge weed that takes up residence unannounced???


But every time I look at it I'm reminded of Jonah. Having successfully preached a message of repentance, Jonah wasn't happy. Go figure! But the truth is, he didn't want the Ninevites to repent; he wanted to see God destroy them. So, pouting and angry, he sat down to nurse his grievance. God caused a vine to grow up and provide shade for Jonah. (Jonah 4:5ff) God wanted him to be comfortable while he pouted! (That thought makes me laugh.)


After 24 hours, the vine died. As it shrivelled, Jonah's wrath grew.


God had not done what Jonah expected God to do. News flash! God doesn't need our guidance! (However, I confess, I'm apt to give it anyway!) And (believe it or not) I've been know to pout.


God waits patiently for us to come around and yield. The book of Jonah gives no evidence that he did. That's sad, isn't it? If Jonah could not accept God's mercy for others, could he really accept it for himself?

No comments:

Post a Comment