Somewhere

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

New sight, new eyes


I heard today that Michelangelo was roundly criticized when his Pieta was unveiled.  "Mary is too young, too beautiful, and too calm" said the naysayers. 

The artist replied that they were right, but it had been his intention.  He wanted, artistically, to demonstrate the Mary's faith and trust in God even at the end of the very worst day of her life.  And, Michelangelo continued,  he hoped to remind every person who ever viewed his work,  that they, also, could  trust God's love and goodness no matter what life brought their way.

For me, at least, works of art as famous as this one can become cliches.  I've seen it so many times I don't really look at it any more. 

More the pity! 

This story has given me new eyes not only for the Pieta but also into the life of faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment