Somewhere

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Home by another way

Christmas tree came down yesterday. Usually that's a job I put off but this year I felt peace as I worked and once everything was put back to order.

This morning the clear sky let the nearly full moon cast long shadows. It would have been a disastrous if I'd been trying to elude detection for the moon shone like a spotlight. The bone-chilling cold combined with the fierce wind kept me from lingering any longer than absolutely necessary. Even Heidi, prone to nose around a bit was easily urged in!

I remembered that shining moon during church this morning as the story of the magi, led by a shining star, was read.

St. Gregory the great wrote: When the king of heaven was born, the heavens knew that he was God because they immediately sent forth a star; the sea knew him because it allowed him to walk upon it; the earth knew because it trembled when he died; the sun knew him because it hid the rays of its light. 'The manifestation of the Son of God to the world begs belief from us by which we will be led home by another way. (from Magnificat, p. 52.)

From my experience, God will lead us home by a better way than any I might have chosen on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment