Somewhere

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Steps and Mis-steps


Yesterday I was ready to finish the last small portion of one side of my counted cross stitch project. However, I met problem after problem: The stitches wouldn't line up according to the pattern. I finally discovered that a way back I'd started a row one stitch too far over. ACKKKK! Tempted as I was to go (it was only 1 stitch!!), I removed stitches from that whole area.


I spent today restitching. It was still a struggle. Late this afternoon, I discovered I'd dropped another stitch. Fortunately, that repair required just adding a stitch to 4 rows.


Tomorrow I'll move on (I hope!) and complete the left hand side of the design.


I thought a lot about life's mistakes. How hard it is to admit them and take the time (as much as is possible, for life is not a stitchery project) to make what was wrong, right. It's not just the time though, it's choosing humility over pride and integrity over dishonesty.


It's much easier to cover up, make adjustments, and move on.


But as with the stitchery project, that choice will throw the rest of the design out of kilter.


There are few do-overs in life; but we can do-over our character. With God's help we can name our weaknesses, be wary, and grow in virtue.


Be it done to me according to your will.


No comments:

Post a Comment