Somewhere

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ash Wednesday


Lent begins today. To me, it's the season of going into the darkness of suffering. I don't look forward to it.

We're in the depths of winter (so evident with all the piles of snow guarding narrow streets and walkways). The days are often cloudy and gray.

Yet, the promise of Spring calls to me every morning as I listen to the birds sing and watch buds begin to from on the trees.

Lent draws us into the Passion of Christ; spiritual winter. In whatever penance we choose, the idea is to identify with the suffering Jesus 'by whose stripes we are healed.' With each day the night approaches: When He died night descended in the middle of the day.

The night must come before the dawn.

Jesus, make me ready for the dawn of your mercy and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment